Thousands of Bees Killed in Mystery Poison Attack on Derbyshire Hives
Tens of thousands of bees have been killed by an unknown substance that was thrown over their hives in a Derbyshire town.
Almost 80,000 bees are believed to have died as a result of a poison attack on beehives in in Heanor, according to Derbyshire police.
The cruel attack happened at an address in Old Coppice Side, Marlpool, between April 19 and 20.
It is believed two beehives were targeted.
Head over to the Derby Telegraph for the full story.
Rats as Big as Cats are Plaguing a Popular Stoke-on-Trent Beauty Spot
Visitors say rats ‘as big as cats’ have returned to a popular beauty spot – for the second year running.
StokeonTrentLive reported last summer how families and anglers at Westport Lake had reported a rise in chunky rodents at the attraction.
Now both the city council and wildlife officials are urging visitors to dispose of their rubbish in an effort to curb the number of rats setting up home at the site.
Avid angler Geoff Saunders is at the lake on a regular basis. Geoff, who used to work in Biddulph and now lives in Telford, said: “The rats are running around at all times of the day and they’re as big as cats.
The Stoke Sentinel reports more on this terrifying rat story.
1,000 Live Ants Seized From Mail Parcel
Central Chinese customs have said they recently seized over 1,000 live ants from a parcel from Britain, the latest of such seizures fuelled by the rising fashion for exotic pets in China.
Customs officials from Changsha, capital of Hunan province, said the harvester ants, sealed in test tubes together with nutrient solution, were probably mailed into China as pets, Xinhua news agency reported.
They included 37 black-and-red queen ants, with a body length of about 1.4 cm, and a large number of worker ants and eggs.
They were identified as harvester ants, which are gaining popularity among China’s pet lovers as they have a beautiful appearance, fast reproduction and are easy-to-raise.
For more on this, head over to NDTV for the full story.
Apple’s Fifth Avenue Store has Been Having Bed Bug Problems
Apple’s temporary store on Fifth Avenue has been dealing with bed bugs for several weeks, according to a report by the New York Post. Despite the infestation, employees and shoppers have been allowed into the store without any warnings.
The first bed bug was spotted overnight at the 24-hour store about three to four weeks ago, on a table on the second floor. The table was cordoned off while business carried on as usual, leaving the bed bug to potentially make its way to an unwitting customer, an employee told the NY Post. The photos below allegedly show employee lockers of the Fifth Avenue Apple store, as spotted by Gizmodo.
“It was just mayhem,” an employee told The Post. “There was a mass exodus… employees were freaking out they felt really unsafe and management kept giving them the runaround.”
Can Apple salvage this situation? Read more over at The Verge.