Landlords Obligations Regarding Pest Control In Rental Properties

Both tenants and landlords often experience some confusion regarding where responsibility lies as far as pest control is concerned on domestic rental properties. This can sometimes lead to unnecessary friction between landlord and their tenants, particularly if the pest problems take longer than is reasonable to resolve, due to confusion over where responsibilities lie. Tenants of properties run by Housing Associations also often seem unsure over where they stand in terms of the provision of pest control.


This News Article is To Help Tenants and Landlords Understand The Following:

  • Who is responsible for Pest Control in privately rented property?
  • Where do the Council fit in?
  • What If My Property is Managed By a Housing Association?

Pest Control in Privately Rented Property

Landlords, including Housing Associations (RSLs) are responsible for dealing with pest problems (including rats, mice, cockroaches, bedbugs, textile moths, pigeons, tropical ant species and garden ants) in or on their property. The Council has no statutory obligation to provide pest control treatments to tenants of private landlords or Housing Associations (RSLs), regardless of whether they receive Council Tax Benefit or Housing Benefits.

Tenants Of Housing Associations

Tenants of Housing Associations and private sector landlords must inform their landlord (or the landlord.