Legionella Risk Assessments for Cooling Towers
Legionella bacteria can grow in cooling towers and other parts of water systems. They thrive between temperatures of 20 degrees C – 45 degrees C and they can survive low temperatures.
Under general health and safety law you are required to consider the risks to staff and the public.
- Identify and assess potential sources of risk
- Create or have created a regime to prevent or control the legionella risk
- Implement and manage such a scheme, with someone appointed as being responsible for the on-going running of the same.
- Record work that is done and ensure it has been carried out effectively
- Where appropriate under the Notification of cooling towers and evaporative condensers regulations, you must contact the local authority to let them know you have a cooling tower on site.
Our Legionella consultancy will carry out Legionella risk assessments on cooling towers and more broadly across an entire water system. Where a risk is identified (eg. Aerosols from cooling towers which could come into contact with people) a control regime can be recommended and implemented for you.
Resulting services for cooling towers include ensuring the release of water spray is controlled, removal of redundant pipework or overtly long pipes which can promote water stagnation and replacement with more appropriate pipes, material which are known to encourage Legionella growth are removed, water cleaning and chemical treatments can be applied as required and treatments applied to kill Legionella where a problem is found to already exist.
Treatments which can be used on cooling towers include biocides, UV irradiation, ozone and copper/silver ionisation and chlorine dioxide.
If hot water is used to control Legionella then appropriate risk-control measures need to be thought through to reduce the risk of scolding.
Sampling in accordance with Part 2 of the ACOP can be carried out to test for Legionella in cooling towers and hot and cold water systems.
Nationwide Legionella Risk Assessments & Control
Contact us by phone, email or contact form for the UK's leading Nationwide Legionella Risk Assessment & Control Services.
- Call: 0800 197 1650
- Or click here to send us an online enquiry using our contact form.