ISPM 15 relates to regulations in participating countries, which holds freight forwarders and freight owners of goods packed in wooden crates or packed onto wooden pallets wholly responsible for ensuring the crates and pallets are free from bark and insect infestations. ISPM 15 are regulations recognised by the WTO (World Trade Organisation) and their aim is to prevent or partly destroy wood-based pests and disease.
Useful Points On Your ISPM 15 Obligations
- ISPM15 regulations require wooden packing materials, both hardwood and softwood-based, to be fumigated.
- An acceptable alternative is Heat Treatment methods which destroy insects or fungi prior to exportation.
- All wooden or part-wooden crates, packaging or pallets must be fumigated with Methyl Bromide or heat treated.
- It is the final exporters responsibility to ensure this has been carried out.
- Materials should be stamped with the approved ‘Registered Stencil Mark’ of the exporting country.
- The process is essential prior to any goods being allowed entry into a participating country.
- You should check the updated requirements for your country of export.
AMES Organises All Work To Ensure You Are ISPM15 Compliant.
AMES can ensure your business has treatments and fumigations carried out relevant to your countries export and import requirements. In addition to the ‘Registered Stencil Mark’ you may also be required to apply for a ‘Phytonsanitary Certificate’ which is only issued by the Forestry Commission. For further information you can contact the Forestry Commission on 0131 314 6414.
All Necessary Paperwork
AMES can also organise paperwork detailing when you had the treatments carried out, for your peace of mind and so your business is transparent and compliant.
Countries participating in ISPM15 regulations.
If you are exporting or importing goods to and from the following countries you should contact us for advice: American Samoa, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, European Union, Fiji, Guatemala, Guyana, Honuras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Matsu (see Taiwan), New Caladonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, North Korea (DPRK), Norway, Oman, Paraguay, Penghu (see Taiwan), Peru, Samoa, Seychelles, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Syria, Tanzania, Turkey, Ukraine, Venezuela, Vietnam.